Monday, January 21, 2019

TUESDAY “SHOW AND TELL!”; JAN 22, PASTOR CECIL A THOMPSON, E - VOTIONAL


DAILY-E-VOTIONAL
BLESSINGS FROM THE HEART
Pastor Cecil A. Thompson

TO HEAR PASTOR CECIL READ THE DAILY E-VOTIONAL, CLICK ON THIS LINK:
TO HEAR PASTOR CECIL READ THROUGH THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR, CLICK ON THIS LINK:

January 22, 2019
“SHOW AND TELL!”
Psalm 25:4-5
Show me Your ways, O Lordteach me Your paths. Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all the day.”
                                                                                                           
Much has changed in schools since I was a boy; and no, it was not before the flood when I attended school!  Back in the olden days we used to have "show and tell."  Kids would bring some "treasure" and explain why it was a treasure and not simply junk.

The Psalmist is praying to the Lord in today's Scripture and asking for at least three things. In the passage I have underlined these three words: Showteach, and lead.  Let's look at them.

To show implies vision. It is seeing with our eyes or our senses. I enjoy being around blind people. They do not have optical vision, so they see with their sense of touch, hearing, or smell. Can they see? You better believe they do; often with greater acuity than sighted persons.

As we read God's Word we should ask Him to show us those things that He desires for us to see. This prayer is a willingness to receive the things that are shown.  It may be described as an eagerness to receive what the Lord shows.

The second word, teach, goes beyond merely being shown. We need to be taught whatever will be for our good and God's glory. Many years ago I recall being in a Sunday School class that was taught by a gifted teacher. One of the members of that class was a small man who always wore a smile.  One day, commenting to me in broken English, he said: "It like she open the top of my head and pour the learning inside!"

We need to consider ourselves as students being taught by the Lord. Sitting in a class can be very tedious and hard. The results are what count -- not simply to receive a passing grade, but that it has meaning and purpose from that day forward.

There is another element that is important -- the material.  The Psalmist asks that he be taught the Lord's paths.  It is a request for direction, a map. I know that comes as a shock to you ladies who think that men never stop and ask for directions.  In the spiritual realm we need to have instruction on the path of the Lord.  Without knowing His paths we will certainly become lost.

The last word, but of vital importance, is the word guide.  It means that there is One who knows the way and will go before us to be our Guide.  We might pray for insight to see our need, we might have head knowledge about God's paths, but when we actually hit the trail, we need a guide to be there in the lead.

All this seems so simple you may think I have reverted to those grade school days.  If so, just humor me. This one was for me. I always need to be a child at heart and totally dependent upon my Lord.  My prayer is that I, like David, want to be led by the Lord.
   
Blessings dear hearts!  Walk with God today and be a blessing!
- - - Pastor Cecil

You can find previous E-Votionals covering a variety of Scriptures and topics to help you in your walk with the Lord atwww.Daily-E-Votional.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment